2017/18 Annual Report
The Environment, Town Planning and Local Government Committee had a busy 2017/18 year with outcomes including:
- continued advocacy on the transfer of environmental appeals to independent adjudication in the State Administrative Tribunal. The Committee is committed to continuing its efforts to deprive Western Australia of the distinction of being the only State where planning appeals are not dealt with by an independent tribunal;
- a number of submissions to Government, including on the recent waste reform consultation; and
- monitoring of:
- the review of the Contaminated Sites Act 2003 (WA);
- State Planning Policy 2.8, and the impact on landowners of its provisions for uncompensated setting aside of land for conservation purposes; and
- the possibility of Third Party planning appeals.
The Committee maintained its participation in the activities of the Australian Environment and Planning Law Group.
A major project of the Committee during the reporting period was to assist in dealing with the apparent depletion of the planning law specialist adjudicating membership at the State Administrative Tribunal, culminating in representations made by the Law Society to the Minister for Planning and the Attorney General. The Committee was pleased to note the appointment of his Honour Judge David Parry to the Tribunal in September 2017.
For more information about this committee please email General Manager, Advocacy – Mary Woodford, firstname.lastname@example.org