2017/18 Annual Report
The Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Committee met jointly with the Administrative, Constitutional and Migration Law Committee during the past year.
- In 2017/18, the Committee monitored the work of the Law Council of Australia in developing policy positions on:
- the Royal Commission into the Protection and Detention of Children in the Northern Territory;
- the Closing the Gap Refresh;
- the Religious Freedom Review; and
- the National Redress Scheme for survivors of institutional child sexual abuse.
The Convenor is the Law Society representative on the Law Council of Australia’s National Human Rights Committee. Committee member Jennifer Hill is the Law Society representative on the Law Council of Australia’s Equal Opportunity Committee.
The Committee is also represented on the Law Society’s Aboriginal Incarceration and Justice Reinvestment Working Group, which contributed to the Law Council of Australia’s submission to the Australian Law Reform Commission’s Inquiry into the Incarceration Rates of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples.
Members of the Committee have also assisted the Law Society to develop a briefing paper in relation to end of life choices in anticipation of the Joint Select Committee Inquiry Report into the need for laws in Western Australia to allow citizens to make informed decisions regarding their own end of life choices.
The Committee is preparing a position paper on the introduction of a Human Rights Act in Western Australia.
For more information about this committee please email General Manager, Advocacy – Mary Woodford, firstname.lastname@example.org