Level 5, 160 St Georges Terrace PERTH
Friday, 21 June 2019, 9.00am – 6.30pm
Early Bird Offer – Members only – register by the 31 May and pay only $750!
Specifically designed for anyone seeking a refresher or for practitioners new to advocacy, this course provides essential information to advance legal knowledge and improve advocacy and negotiation.
Hear from distinguished members of the legal profession on case presentation and theory, opening and closing statements, examination and cross examination of witnesses and what makes a good advocate.
As negotiation skills are valuable for all lawyers and critical to all areas of practice, this year also provides expert guidance on negotiation skills.
- What Makes a Good Advocate?
- Case Presentation and Case Theory
- Opening Statements
- Closing Statements
- Examining Your Own Witness
- Cross Examination
Key learning outcomes
- Learn from advocacy experts and embed your knowledge with the provided text book, Advocacy: An Introduction, Curthoys, J; Kendall, C.N.,2006
- Gain a better understanding of the decision-making process and audience expectations
- Understand the importance of content and how case theory is involved in interlocutory argument
- Be across the ethical duties that arise in litigation and in dealings with the court
- Understand the best cross-examination techniques at your disposal
- Maximise the strength of your opening and closing statements
- Advocate effectively in negotiating on behalf of your client
Morning Tea, Lunch, Afternoon Tea and Networking Drinks will be provided.
CHAIR – Jenny Thornton, Barrister, Quayside Chambers
His Honour Judge Michael Gething, District Court of Western Australia
Tom Percy QC, Barrister, Albert Wolff Chambers
James Mactaggart, Senior State Prosecutor, Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions
Philip Urquhart, Barrister, Francis Burt Chambers
Craig Slater, Barrister, Francis Burt Chambers
Teresa Farmer, Barrister, John Toohey Chambers
Gillian Anderson, Barrister, Francis Burt Chambers
Rebecca Bunney, Principal, Cullen Macleod Lawyers
To register for this event please complete the registration form and return to firstname.lastname@example.org
4 points Competency 2 Professional Skills
2 points Competency 3 Ethics and Professional Responsibility