Level 5, 160 St Georges Terrace PERTH
This seminar is available for in person or webinar attendance.
A Hands-on Masterclass of the Law of Costs and Billing
Effective costs and billing practice is a fundamental component in legal practice and an essential skill for all lawyers. The Law Society’s Costs Committee presents this seminar with experienced costs specialists along with the Legal Profession Complaints Committee focusing on:
- The core areas of the law of costs including retainers, costs agreements, trust accounts, disclosure, billing and taxation/assessment of costs
- Costs agreement clauses that work and don’t work, and things to watch out for
- New, better ways to draw bills
- Billing alternatives including fixed fees and value based billing
- Gaining an understanding of ethical billing – what can and cannot be billed
- What the Legal Profession Complaints Committee is looking out for and analysis of recent disciplinary cases
- Survey of case law
Morning tea and a light lunch will be provided.
1 points Competency 1 Practice Management
1 points Competency 2 Professional Skills
1 points Competency 3 Ethics and Professional Responsibility
1 points Competency 4 Substantive Law