Law Week 2021
Every year, Law Week brings the community and legal profession together to build a shared understanding of the law. This year’s Law Week (17 to 21 May 2021) recognised the significant contributions to the community made by the profession with a week-long programme of events which was highlighted by:
Law Week Breakfast and the Attorney General’s Community Service Law Awards
The Law Society was delighted to host the President of the Law Council of Australia, Dr Jacoba Brasch QC, who travelled to Perth especially to deliver the keynote address, “The Call for Change – Law, Culture, Diversity, Voice”. It was an energising morning, with over 180 members of the profession coming together to acknowledge the importance of access to justice for all and to celebrate lawyers making a difference in the community.
Law Week Cocktail Party and Lawyer of the Year Awards
Law Week concluded with the Law Week Cocktail Party and the announcement of the 2021 Lawyer of the Year Awards.
Congratulations to Kendra Turner (recipient of the less than five years’ experience award) and Peter Le (recipient of the more than five years’ experience award). The evening was a wonderful celebration and culmination of the week.
Many other valuable events for the profession and the community were held across the week:
- The Law Society’s Young Lawyers Committee hosted a special screening of In My Blood it Runs, in recognition of the important work of Aboriginal legal centres.
- The Law Access Walk for Justice saw 424 participants and raised $118,910 for Law Access Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Law Society.
- The Law Week Panel Discussion: The women should have a voice – the future of women’s social justice in WA, reflected on the legacy of Edith Cowan and the work that still remains.
- Our annual CPD Day for Country Practitioners provided an opportunity for those working in the regions to share collegiality and support, and to learn from each other through tailored Continuing Professional Development initiatives.
Click here to view the 2021 dynamic Law Week programme
that brought the legal profession and community together.
Attorney General’s Community Service Law Awards
The Law Society was delighted to once again host the Attorney General’s Community Service Law Awards at the Law Week Breakfast event, celebrating outstanding lawyers making a difference to community. Attorney General John Quigley presented the following three winners with their awards:
- Veteran family lawyer Jon Redman won the Individual Award in honour of a long history of pro bono work dating back to 1982, when he helped establish the Sussex Street Community Law Service.
- The Not-For-Profit Award went to the Pilbara Community Legal Service, which assists people across the region from the main population centres to remote communities.
- MinterEllison received the Legal Firm Award for its work with a range of community service providers and not-for-profit organisations, contributing thousands of pro bono hours.
With thanks to our Law Week sponsor:
With thanks to our Supporting Event Sponsors
Lawyer of the Year Award Sponsor
(more than 5 years’ experience)
Lawyer of the Year Award Sponsor
(less than 5 years’ experience)
Sponsor of the 2021 Attorney General’s
Community Service Law Awards