The Law Society connects members of the public with the local legal profession and provides access to useful legal resources for the community.

Where to find legal assistance

If you require legal advice there are a range of service providers in both the private and public sphere. Depending on your financial situation and the nature of your matter, you may be able to find assistance either from a private lawyer or law firm, a public legal service or a pro bono assistance scheme.

Private Law Firms

The Law Society maintains a register of private legal practices and their areas of expertise that can be accessed on the Find a Lawyer service to help you identify law firms that may be able to assist you on a fee paying basis.

Free or Low Cost Legal Services

Pro Bono Schemes

Pro bono services seek to provide assistance to members of the community that cannot afford the private services of a lawyer and who do not qualify for assistance from a public service provider.

Other states and territories

For people who have experienced institutional child sexual abuse

The National Redress Scheme for people who have experienced institutional child sexual abuse began on 1 July 2018. The Scheme provides free access to independent legal support through the ‘knowmore’ legal service.

Legal Information

Many resources are available online which allow members of the public to access State and Commonwealth legislation and some reported cases. Some sites also provide information about the law by legal topic.

Courts and Tribunals

For information about the Western Australian justice system, including courts and tribunals, the following sites may be of assistance.

Unrepresented Litigants

Useful information on procedural information for litigants  who will not be represented by a lawyer and appearing before Western Australian courts.

Legal Dictionaries

Other Legal Resources

The Legal Practice Board of Western Australia has statutory responsibility for the admission, supervision and discipline (through the Legal Profession Complaints Committee) of all legal practitioners in Western Australia. To find out if a practitioner currently holds a practising certificate, enquire with the Legal Practice Board.  The Law Society has also produced this Fact Sheet on unlawfully engaging in legal work.

Members of the public who wish to make a complaint against a practitioner may contact the Legal Profession Complaints Committee.

More Information

The information on this website is provided as general information and is no substitute for legal advice. If you need advice about a specific legal problem contact a legal practice, Legal Aid WA on 1300 650 579 or your local community legal centre.