Full Law Week Programme Now Available
Between Monday, 16 May and Friday, 20 May, the Law Society of Western Australia and partner organisations will present a broad range of events for the community and legal profession, taking place across the State, including:
- The Case for Legal Aid – Law Week Breakfast with Fred Chaney AO, featuring the Attorney General’s Community Service Law Awards – Monday, 16 May
- Youth Civics Leadership Day – Monday, 16 May
- Inaugural Law Access Walk for Justice – Tuesday, 17 May
- Homophobia within the Law – Law Week Panel Presentation – Wednesday, 18 May
- Law Week Cocktail Evening and Lawyer of the Year Awards – Thursday, 19 May
A number of Law Week events are presented by Legal Aid Western Australia and community legal centres, underscoring the critical work done by these organisations.
Successive funding cuts to legal aid over many years have led to injustice and harm to vulnerable people in our community which, in turn has serious implications for the wider community. It has never been more vital that governments reverse these cuts and restore funding to legal assistance services.
The opening of Law Week on Monday, 16 May coincides with a national day of action in support of the Legal Aid Matters campaign, which aims to draw public attention to the legal aid crisis in this Federal election year.
Law Society President Elizabeth Needham said, “Law Week is an annual celebration of law and justice in the community. It provides an opportunity to demystify the legal system; to build a shared understanding of the role of law in society and to recognise legal practitioners who consistently contribute to the community through pro bono work. With more than 30 activities taking place across Law Week, there will be something to interest everyone.”
Other Law Week events taking place throughout Western Australia include:
- RU Legal? Young People and Texting – Legal Aid WA – Monday, 16 May
- Free Domestic Violence Awareness Session – Lifeline WA – Wednesday, 18 May
- ‘P.U.L.P. – pop up legal practice’ – pro bono legal advice for musicians – Monday, 16 May
- Law in King Square – Fremantle Community Legal Centre – Wednesday, 18 May
- Wills, Enduring Power of Attorney and related topics – BCLC Bunbury, Legal Aid Bunbury & ALS Bunbury – Friday, 20 May
- HHG Giving Back Free Legal Clinics – Wednesday, 18 May
- Free simple wills for pensioners – Latro Lawyers – All week
- Amazing Race – Law Edition – Friday, 13 May
To view the complete Law Week programme, please visit lawsocietywa.asn.au/law-week.
For comment please contact:
Media and Communications Officer
(08) 9324 8634