Alfred Hawes Stone qualified as a solicitor and practiced with his father in Tunbridge Wells, UK, before immigrating to Australia. He arrived at the Swan River Colony aboard the “Caroline” in October 1829, with the intention of pursuing his interest in agriculture. In December 1829, whilst establishing himself as a farmer, Stone accepted honorary appointment as Justice of the Peace for the Canning District. In March 1830 he was appointed Clerk of the Peace for the newly established Court of Quarter Sessions, and on 27th January 1831 was given permission by Lieut. Governor Stirling to practice as a solicitor, Attorney at Law, Conveyancer and Notary Public. Alfred was appointed the colony’s first Crown solicitor and lived in the first house built on St George’s Terrace. He died in 1873.