Mentoring is a brain to pick, an ear to listen, and a push in the right direction – John C Crosby
Are you looking for some direction or guidance to take the next step in your career? Are you wanting to share your lessons learnt and give back to the profession? There are great career and social benefits in participating in the mentoring programme – it is a two-way street and you get out of it what you put in.
Mentors and mentees attend separate workshops to establish an understanding of the responsibilities, benefits and parameters of the mentoring relationship. Matches are carefully selected and the mentoring relationship is monitored by the programme facilitator.
The 2021 Law Society’s Mentoring Programme for Lawyers will be available to practitioners of all levels of practice post admission. It will commence in March and run through until November 2021.
The mentoring programme for practitioners is open to any certificated practitioner who:
- is a financial ordinary member of the Law Society
- will be able to participate in the programme
This programme receives great feedback each year. Please read our mentees testimonials for more information.
2021 Mentoring Programme Now Open
Expressions of interest are now open for the 2021 Mentoring Programme for Lawyers.
Please complete the relevant Expression of Interest Form below and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2021 Mentoring Programme for Lawyers – Mentees
- 2021 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Law Students Mentoring Programme – Mentees
- 2021 Mentoring Programme for Lawyers – Mentors (now closed)
- 2021 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Law Students Mentoring Programme – Mentors
For more information please email email@example.com or call (08) 9324 8600.
Mentoring Programme for Law Students
The YLC Law Student Mentoring Programme pairs emerging practitioners with current law students to provide guidance and support to the transition from student to law graduate and then to lawyer. For more information, please visit the Young Lawyers Committee page.
Please note that applications for the 2021 Programme have now closed. Applicants will be notified of their mentor/mentee pairing and training options ahead of the Programme launch date of 22 April.
BENEFITS TO MENTEE
- Make potentially long term professional connections
- Improve communication and interpersonal skills
- Identify professional development opportunities
- Set career goals and pathways to achieve success
- Gain a role model
- Opportunity to discuss matters openly and in-confidence with senior members of the profession
- Opportunity to review your CV
BENEFITS TO MENTOR
- Personal and professional satisfaction
- Give back to the profession
- Share your experience
- Learn from your mentee
- Be at the forefront of emerging issues for practitioners and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander law students
- Assisting practitioners/law students with the many challenges and expectations of a career in the law
COMMITMENT OF MENTORS
- New mentors to attend a training workshop
- Meet one-to-one with mentee approximately every four weeks