2018/19 Annual Report
Brief is the official journal of the Law Society and has been published since 1974. Brief keeps members informed about the Law Society’s activities and the latest developments in the Western Australian legal profession.
11 monthly editions of Brief were published in the past financial year. Examples of notable articles featured in Brief over the year include:
- Magistrates Courts in Western Australia: Navigating Conveyor-Belt Justice in the General Lists by Magistrate Deen Potter
- Interview with the Hon Wayne Martin AC, QC upon his retirement as 13th Chief Justice of Western Australia
- Review of the High Court’s visit to Perth, Toast to the High Court by Simon Freitag SC and Response by the Hon Justice James Edelman
- Interview with newly-appointed Chief Justice the Hon Peter Quinlan
- Review of the Law Society’s 2018 Black Tie Gala Dinner
- Interview with newly-appointed Solicitor-General of Western Australia Joshua Thomson SC
- The Ethics of Settlement Negotiations in Employment Disputes by Mark Cox and Renae Harg
- Business and Human Rights: Relevance for WA Lawyers by John Southalan
- Can Employees be Dismissed for Making Vexatious Complaints by Gemma Little
- The Rule of Law and the Independence of the Judiciary: Values Lost or Conveniently Forgotten by the Hon Stephen Thackray, former Chief Judge, Family Court of Western Australia
- Improving Written Submissions by Judge Alan Troy
- #LawyersMakeADifference campaign articles highlighting the good work of lawyers in our community, including Tony Chong, Rebecca Bunney, Sophie Manera and Sally Bruce
The ‘Trials and Tribulations’ article series interviewed noteworthy practitioners including Kate Offer, Ambelin Kwaymullina, Faith Cheok, Iain McIntyre, Verity Long-Droppert and Nigel Lo.
A new article series ‘Quirky Cases’ was introduced in the 2019/19 financial year. Thank you to the Hon John McKechnie QC for all of his efforts in researching and authoring those articles. Brief was also pleased to continue publishing the regular Drover’s Dog column.
Brief has also in the last financial year provided items concerning the many judicial appointments and farewells.
The Committee thanks all those who submitted articles or items for consideration, and encourages anyone who is interested in doing so to submit material.
Thank you also to those who make regular contributions to Brief, such as Dean Alston for his cartoon, Robert Glade-Wright with Family Law Case Notes and Gino Dal Pont for his ethics column.
For more information about this committee please email email@example.com.