2017/18 Annual Report
The Law Society’s Construction and Infrastructure Committee was established in August 2015. The Committee’s meetings are held in conjunction with meetings of the Law Council of Australia’s Construction and Infrastructure WA Group. This Group is part of the Law Council’s Business Law Section’s longstanding Construction and Infrastructure Committee.
Topics for discussion by the Committee have related to local as well as national issues relating to the construction industry.
The Committee’s activities for 2017-18 included the following:
- Considering discussion papers provided by the Industry Advisory Group (IAG) appointed by the State Government to investigate and report on reform of security of payment legislation in the building and construction industry in WA and participating, on behalf of the Society, in the IAG workshops;
- Preparing written submissions from the Society to the IAG;
- Considering the report by John Murray to the Federal Government in relation to his Enquiry on Security of Payment Laws in the building and construction industry;
- Considering decisions of the Supreme Court and the State Administrative Appeals Tribunal on cases of significance to the construction industry; and
- Co-hosting a seminar for construction practitioners with Resolution Institute, the Society of Construction Law Australia and the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators in November 2017.
For more information about this committee please email General Manager, Advocacy – Mary Woodford, email@example.com