2016/17 Annual Report
The Construction and Infrastructure Committee was established in August 2015. The Committee’s meetings are held in conjunction with meetings of the Law Council of Australia’s Construction and Infrastructure WA Group. This Group is part of the Law Council’s Business Law Section’s longstanding Construction and Infrastructure Committee. There is considerable overlap of members of the Law Society’s Committee and members of the Law Council’s Committee.
Topics for discussion by the Committee have included local as well as national issues relating to the construction industry.
Greg Steinepreis was appointed the Committee’s Convenor in October 2016, succeeding the inaugural Convenor, Michael Hollingdale.
The Committee’s activities for 2016/17 include:
- monitoring the amendment bill of the Construction Contracts Act arising out of a statutory review of the Act and the Government’s response, including discussion on the benefits of national harmonisation of the security of payment legislation throughout the States and Territories;
- monitoring the Federal Government’s initiative in setting up an enquiry into security of payment legislation (John Murray Enquiry on Security of Payment Laws);
- preparing a submission on behalf of the Law Society to the John Murray Enquiry, which was incorporated into a submission to the Enquiry by the Law Council of Australia;
- consideration of decisions of the Supreme Court and the State Administrative Appeals Tribunal on cases of significance to the construction industry; and
- co-hosting a seminar for construction practitioners with the Resolution Institute (formerly the Institute of Arbitrators & Mediations Australia), the Society of Construction Law Australia and the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators in November 2016.
For more information about this committee please email General Manager, Advocacy – Mary Woodford, firstname.lastname@example.org