2018/19 Annual Report
The Costs Committee’s primary function is to make recommendations to the Law Society Council in relation to reviews conducted by the statutory Legal Costs Committee (LCC).
In the reporting period the Law Society made submissions to the LCC in relation to the reviews of the scales for litigious matters.
The Committee also contributed to:
- A submission to the Legal Services Council and Commissioner for Uniform Legal Services Regulation concerning the possible revision of the costs disclosure thresholds under the Uniform Law, indexed amounts that include thresholds for costs disputes that designated local regulatory authorities can deal with and make binding determinations on and Uniform Law costs disclosure forms to be used for short form disclosure;
- A proposal to the Chief Magistrate that a Practice Direction be adopted by the Magistrates Court to provide parties with a more cost effective and quick, way to resolve costs disputes; and
- Nominations for appointment to the Legal Costs Committee.
A number of other matters were considered by the Committee including:
- Progressing a range of reforms to the Suitors’ Fund;
- the introduction of the Legal Profession Uniform Law in Western Australia; and
- Amendments to the Law Society’s costs kits.
Members of the Committee also presented the CPD seminar Costs – Unravelling the Mystery, a seminar on effective costs and billing practices.
For more information about this committee please email General Manager, Advocacy – Mary Woodford, firstname.lastname@example.org