2017/18 Annual Report
The Joint Law Society/Women Lawyers Committee is a liaison group between Women Lawyers of Western Australia (Inc) and the Law Society.
During 2017/18, the Committee:
- conducted a review of the Quality Practice Standards (QPS) to identify opportunities where the QPS can address diversity and inclusion issues;
- updated the Law Society’s Equality of Opportunity Model Briefing Policy, which now encourages all briefing entities to adopt the Law Council of Australia’s National Model Gender Equitable Briefing Policy;
- hosted a very successful High Tea with keynote speaker Fiona McLeod SC, who delivered a presentation on the topic ‘Mind the Gap: It’s the journey as well as the destination’;
- assisted in developing a seminar on workplace diversity initiatives chaired by the Convenor and presented by Libby Lyons (Director, Workplace Gender Equality Agency), Margie Tannock (Squire Patton Boggs), Jake Howard (Norton Rose Fulbright), Elizabeth Macknay (Herbert Smith Freehills) and Leanne Nickels (DLA Piper); and
- nominated candidates for the 2018 WA Women’s Hall of Fame and the WLWA Woman Lawyer of the Year Awards.
The Committee also assisted the Law Society’s Advancement of Women in the Legal Profession Working Group to implement the Law Society’s Final Directions Paper, a strategic plan for
addressing the recommendations in WLWA’s 20th Anniversary Review of the 1994 Chief Justice’s Gender Bias Taskforce Report. At the time of writing the Committee is developing an
exit survey to identify retention issues and trends in consultation with firms so that there is shared information about gender equity issues.
For more information about this committee please email General Manager, Advocacy – Mary Woodford, firstname.lastname@example.org