2018/19 Annual Report
The Joint Law Society/Women Lawyers Committee is a committee with representation from the Law Society and the Women Lawyers of Western Australia (Inc).
During 2018/19, the Committee:
- conducted a review of the Quality Practice Standards (QPS) to identify opportunities where the QPS can address diversity and inclusion issues;
- nominated candidates for the 2019 WA Women’s Hall of Fame and the WLWA Woman Lawyer of the Year Awards;
- developed an exit survey to identify retention issues and trends in consultation with firms so that there is shared information about gender equity issues;
- drafted the Inter-firm Diversity Group’s Terms of Reference;
- wrote to the Chief Justice of Western Australia regarding a Visible Targets report for equitable briefing;
- wrote a submission for the Law Council of Australia regarding the National Inquiry into Sexual Harassment in Australian Workplaces;
- assisted the Law Society in its successful application for Public Purposes Trust funding for a Retention Study; and
- maintained the important connection between the Committee and the Advancement of Women in the Legal Profession Working Group.
The Committee assisted the LawSociety’s Advancement of Women in the Legal Profession Working Group to implement the Law Society’s Final Directions Paper, a strategic plan for addressing the recommendations in WLWA’s 20th Anniversary Review of the 1994 Chief Justice’s Gender Bias Taskforce Report.
For more information about this committee please email General Manager, Advocacy – Mary Woodford, firstname.lastname@example.org