I don’t speak english

If you speak limited English or require any speciality services, you can call a lawyer with an interpreter.

We do not suggest using untrained individuals such as family members or friends as they may interpret incorrectly or there may be a conflict of interest. Your friend or relative may assist you with booking an interpreter.

The most common translating and interpreter services in Western Australia are:

Need a Lawyer

Lawyers and Community Legal Centres can arrange interpreters for you.

To make an appointment or to talk to your lawyer over the phone, you can call TIS on 131 450. They will then find someone to interpret for you over the phone. If you do not understand or like the interpreter, you may request a new one.

To have an interpreter go with you to an appointment, you can make a booking through WA interpreters on 9365 4819 or 9362 4819.

The Asylum Seeker Hub

The Asylum Seeker Hub is a service provided to individuals who are seeking protection visas. The Hub provides services such as translation and interpreting services in relation to legal, psychological, welfare and social needs. This service runs on Tuesdays only at 2pm to 5pm, Riverview Church, 1 Thorogood Street, Burswood.

Aboriginal Interpreting WA

Aboriginal Interpreting WA (AIWA) (formerly Kimberley interpreting service) provides accredited interpreters by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) in over 40 WA Aboriginal languages to clients anywhere in Australia. Bookings can be made here.

Need an interpreter for court?

To book an interpreter for a Court proceeding, you need to notify the relevant Court prior to the date you are appearing. This is usually around 14 days before you need to appear however it is best to check with the Court the notice period they require. The interpreter is paid for by the Court.

Different Courts have different requirements, please see the following:

Need an interpreter for SAT?

To book an interpreter for a State Administrative Tribunal (SAT) hearing, notice should be provided as soon as possible. Further information on what the process is can be found here.

SAT can use consecutive interpreting, simultaneous whispered interpreting, simultaneous AUSLAN interpreting or language assistance (where a party does not require an interpreter at all times, but may at times, have difficulty in fully understanding what is being said or inaccurately conveying their response in spoken English).

The cost for the interpreter is paid for by SAT if the relevant eligibility has been met.

Do you have a hearing or speech impairment?

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairments, you may utilise the National Relay Service for telephone calls or in person during court proceedings.  Auslan interpreters may be booked through Access plus WA Deaf, here.